Free Control Boards!

I am willing and able
I have a Basic and a Pro, the later is out of warranty.

Let me know.

Any chance you are still looking for testers??
I have a background in building and maintaining 3d printers, flashing and updating Arduino based control boards. Manipulating and updating Arduino firmware for 3d printers. Basic component level repairs.

In a bit of a holding pattern. I’m working on an RPi variant, and haven’t finished it up yet.

1 Like

Please feel free to let me know if you are looking for testers in the future :slight_smile: I would be interested in boards that may not necessarily work with the stock Software (long story short I got a 2nd hand unit with a broken lid. For the life of me can’t find the camera module and the system will not work with that stock.) so I am trying to find alternatives to repairing the unit without having to gut it entirely and replace everything. It would be great if I could find someone with a camera module and ribbon cable that would be willing to sell it. I have tested everything else as far as I can right now without the camera module. And it all appears to be working perfectly. I wish Glow forge would get back to me on just that unit (and not require me to spend 200 to ship it plus repair fees plus parts on top of that… )

What’s the status here? I suggest opening discussion and making an attempt to widen the reach of this project, as it seems that so warranties expire this will become… Interesting.

I put this aspect of the project on hold. There was very little interest.

Instead, I turned my efforts to developing firmware that will run on the factory board. My goal there is to ultimately have firmware that will run work with third party laser CNC software like LightBurn.

Once that is accomplished, I may start back up on this part of the project, as the same firmware will work for both (with a little modification).

1 Like

Hi Scott,

I finally created an account over here. I bought a second-hand GF Plus around the start of the year, and although it’s working well now, I know someday it won’t. Not my first cutter, I’ve got a couple K40s and a few open frame solid state units that I run from Lightburn. I also do 3D printing and am getting more adept at using my CNC router.

I’m a software/firmware developer with a decent amount of embedded experience, but I also do applications. C/C++ is my main language, but I am fluent in over 4 billion dialects… or something.

I see that this thread is probably obsolete, but just wanted to say “hi” and let you know that I’m game to help develop some code.

Thanks for creating this cool resource!

I halted progress on the OpenGlow control board for now. I’ve been focusing my efforts on a firmware image for the factory board.

There is a working image over at my Github that has most of the basics to make the thing move. Installation instructions for dual boot are here.

The existing image uses a horribly slow Python based program to control the unit. It currently is able to connect to the Glowforge service and mostly work.

I am in the process of writing control software for it in C. My goal is to provide a REST interface to the unit for third party software.

I went down a rabbit hole, and started developing a full fledged C REST API platform that is driven by OpenAPI v3 schema files. I’m about halfway through that now. Once that is done, I’ll switch back to finishing the control software work.

1 Like

This really looks awesome! I’m sure I’ll be able to help out with the coding and testing effort once I get up-to-speed on the basic development environment.

I haven’t taken my machine apart far enough yet to know if it has the USB ports installed or not, but I will start there and maybe add the SD card reader while I’ve got it open. Then I’ll install your firmware image and check it out.

Once I have a working image and am comfortable with the update process I’ll start digging into the code to get familiar with what you’ve done. I’m really impressed with everything you’ve managed to figure out and document.

I’m really excited by the idea of having a G-code API available. It would be interesting if there was a way to operate the cutter directly from Lightburn without having to go through their proprietary sandbox. It’s unfortunate that they require a wifi connection, let alone solid internet.

I’m interested if still available. Also I have a Glowforge system I’m willing to donate for the cause. Brand spanking new… never even turned on.

I’ve put the development of a replacement control board on hold while I concentrate on developing software for the factory hardware. I’ll add you to the list when work on that project resumes.

In the meantime - you can try out the latest alpha version of the software for the factory board by following the directions here.

Very interested in still available.

I’m interested in testing out new software and hardware implementations on the Glowforge. I have a Glowforge basic unit. As soon as the warranty expired, I began modifying it. So far, I haven’t done anything crazy- just completely removed the fan and added an inline fan to make the machine quiet.

I’m going to have to install the serial port on the board and then test out the rest…

My coding experience is probably insufficient to help with this project, but keep me on the list for testing a new control board and/ or new software.

I would like to revive this, but with the suggestion, INSTEAD of building a whole new controller, what about just an interface between glowforge motors and laser controllers and a Ruida controller?

it should be a LOT simpler to do, and then we can use lightburn, etc to control the Glowforge ‘box’ and all it needs is a connector between the two??

what ya think?

Jonathan

I thought about that. There is a bunch of very specific Glowforge hardware in there that doesn’t exactly translate well.

The most useful part would be an adapter to interface with the power supply. Other than that, there isn’t much that could directly translate.

Glowforge went out of their way to be “different”, and they certainly met that goal.

Hi guys. I’m an old (really old) retired c++ programmer and would love to pitch in on creating an interface that “macgeek” mentioned. Any interest here?

Thank,
Ed Newbold

1 Like

INTEREST!!! more interest then an 8.5% APR investment account!!!

Jonathan

1 Like

Great. Let’s see if we can “get r done”.

How do you want to do this? - I send you a basic board, you hack it? or I send you a dead board you frankenstien it?

Jonathan

Any progress on this? I am in the progress of trying to install the alpha, script failed to repartition correctly so I am going to attempt it manually