It’s been a little while since I’ve posted any progress updates, so I figured I drop a quick note.
I’ve had other things competing for my free time over the last month, so I’m not as far along as I had hoped to be. There has, however, been some forward movement…
The CNC / Motion Control kernel module and DMA driver have been ported over and tested. I am now generating step/dir and laser control outputs from Glowforge motion (puls) files. Big shout out to @palmercr who helped me get past a pesky instrumentation issue that had me chasing my tail.
I’ve finished a quick and dirty driver for the Trinamic stepper drivers that allows me to set their parameters and read back status.
With these these two major components completed, I’ll be starting motion testing today. Yes, it took 3 months for me to get to the point where I can actually make stuff move.
The DMA component is probably the most interesting part of the project, so far (it’s how they are getting precise timing without using a real time kernel or external step generator). I’ll put together a technical description of these components when I get some more time.
Until then, all the code changes are up on the new Github repo.