WANTED: Junk Glowforge

If anyone has, or knows of anyone who has, a junk Glowforge lying around, I would be interested in purchasing it. I know there are a few floating around out there that have been in fires or damaged in shipping during private transactions…

I’d be interested regardless of condition, as long as the bulk of the internals are still present. Of specific interest to me are the power supply and main control board.

1 Like

A near new Glowforge found it’s way to my shop. Less then 6 test cuts.
The “Y” axis doesn’t function correctly.
“Y1” moves as expected.
“Y2” motor appears dead which could be a bad motor, cabling, or driver ?
Doesn’t matter as I’d really like to salvage enough of the parts to change to a Smoothieboard and run Light Burn instead.
Bottom line …
Main control board and / or other parts will be removed and available.
To discuss further we should converse off line.

Any guidance on how to remove the laser feed lines from the power supply ?

First, its important to note that the Glowforge was not designed to be serviced in any reasonable manner.

That being said, the HV wire (red) cannot be removed from the power supply without compromising the insulation. The only non-destructive way to remove the supply with this lead intact is to disconnect it from the tube, and pull it all the way out through the long path they threaded it through (it’s about 5 feet long, if I recall correctly).

I attach a pull string to it so I can easily thread it back through upon reassembly.

The return wire (white) can be cut near the supply and soldered back together when you reassemble it. If you take this route, be sure to insulate the soldered joint with heatshrink or something similiar. You could also unfolded the wire from the ballast resistor on the left side of the chassis (that’s what I do).

All around, removal and reinstallation the power supply is huge pain in the ass.

1 Like

This would be a very difficult task without major modifications. If you search this forum a bit you’ll find ample discussion around why this is so.

Thank you Scott for the guidance on removing the power supply. It would have been a shame to cause unnecessary damage.
I tried to remove the cover on the power supply thinking there might be connections inside. No luck removing the cover. There is one flat top Phillips screw just above the red power lead that just kept turning and would not come out.
I have built a few CNC machines + 3D printers using drives from Gecko, TinyG, Smoothie, Arduino and others dating back to parallel port WinCNC devices … I don’t see building a laser from scratch as too difficult a task. “Famous last words” :slight_smile:
Plus there is a bunch of extra drives and motors sitting around to tinker with.
An after market laser power supply will need to be sourced but little else.

Now that the Glowforge is nearly disassembled it appears the only items I care to salvage is the case, drive rails and laser.
The rest could be be sold.

1 Like

I have a glowforge pro I’d be willing to part with. Turns on but turns out it was not sold through GF so they disabled it. No power cord or crumb tray but I’d be willing to sell it.